“Summers here and the time is right for dancing in the streets.” OK, maybe this little bit of Motown doesn’t quite fit but it is Summer and the folks are filing into different Nostalgia drag races currently and some might be wondering why. They may be having a tough time selling tickets to World Cup soccer games but fans who’ve been to Nostalgia drag racing meets understand the draw. The excitement, so much to see and do, the unusual atmosphere and quality leisure activity yet stretching your buck – a huge benefit over any other entertainment dollar – it’s amazing. For those who have not had the advantage of enjoying a Nostalgia drag race, let me point out the Top 7 reasons.
- The amount to do. These events are just that, events. You can watch the races of which you may witness over 500 cars going down the strip. You can go down into the pits and observe the racecars. 9 times out of 10 there will be a car show. And also you might enjoy a swap meet. So much to do.
- The friendly confines. Yes, anywhere you go you might find the occasional disorderly but they’re hard to find at drag races.
- The diversity (in more ways than one) of retail. You can go to a Nostalgia drag race and there might be fresh fruit for sale, toys, clothes, vacations along with typical items like sunglasses, jewelry and of course every imaginable auto part.
- A place to take the family. Again with so much to do, you’re not stuck in a seat for several hours. The family atmosphere gives a great quality to entertain anyone, young or old to their own cup of tea, so-to-speak.
- Interaction with teams and drivers. You CAN NOT get the same personal touch and real conversation at any other sporting event like you can at a Nostalgia drag meet. The interaction is like nothing you’ve ever experienced and it gives you a closer feel to the person behind the wheel.
- Bang for the buck. The cost of a WEEKEND pass may only be $30. You can’t even begin to go to another sporting event for that cost.
- Sensory overload. You will never match the sound, sight, smell and feel a drag race offers. The sound is booming; the sights are exciting, spectacular and beautiful; the smell is both unique and diverse whether the tires going up in smoke or the different smells of fuel (gas, alcohol and of course nitro – ahhhhh); and finally feel, yes, the feel of the ground thumping or if your close enough, the air rushing over you as a Top Fueler goes by.
I might add one more from my point of view. Going to the drags as a team offers up a family of sorts that’s hard to describe unless you’ve been associated directly with the drag racing. The camaraderie is unlike any other sport.
So there you have it. Does this make a little more sense as to why existing fans are so loyal and crazed about their sport? Now to paraphrase Martha and The Vandellas song: Summer here’s and the time is right for going to the drags – of course, Nostalgia drags.